Wednesday, August 1, 2007

IF YOUR THINKING ABOUT SUING READ THIS!

In 1997, I bought a motorcycle that I ended up having a minor accident that caused some external damage, but the bike was brand new so I took it to this body shop owned by a guy who came recommeded by some co workers. To make a long story short, my insurance company went out to the body shop to approve this shop to fix my bike. It was approved. After a while of being in the shop, the owner then gave me a run around about my bike not yet being fixed, I gave him some time to get things together since, I lived up north and it was almost winter time. Well, the owner was in some trouble that I didnt know about, and disappeared with my bike. I went to the police department to file a report, the police officer said I am sorry we cant help you because you gave permission for this body shop to fix your bike so now it becomes a civil suit. I was boggled, this guy stole my bike, yes I gave permission to fix my bike, "not to steal it". I filed suit as soon as possible, and went to court but, it didnt matter, because the shop owner didn't show, and I got my judgement for $10,000 + interest. Only one problem we couldnt get any personal information on the shop owner, so we couldnt find him to get the monies. City Hall wouldn't give out any info on the shop owner, and said, they dont even need a social security number for application for a business name. To make a long story short I never recieved any monies for this judgement. So much for the law!!!

No comments: