Saturday, February 16, 2008
Have you heard about, "Sinusitis"?
About a week ago my son, who is only 22 months old, was admitted to the hospital for a week. Of course I had to stay with him during this visit 24/7. His left eye looked as though he had been in the ring with Floyd Mayweather, it was so red and swollen he could not open his eye. This scared the hell out of me. I found out it was Sinusitis,`a disease that starts in the sinuses, and in my sons case, it ended up penetrating the nasal bone and then an infection started behind the eye or in the, "Orbital". This infection," Orbital cellulitis and Orbital abscess" is behind the eye is dangerous and could result in surgery, otherwise it could cause damage to the brain or damage to your vison. Now, I am not trying to discredit doctors, but my son and I, moved from Florida, (warm weather) to Michigan(cold weather)in Nov. 2007, this is a temp change of almost 60 to 80 degrees depending on the time of year. From Nov 2007, till he was diagnosed in late January 2008 with Sinusitis, my son had a cold for two weeks and maybe a week of relief on the third week and by the four week the cold started again, mostly nasal congestion and runny nose. I took him to the doctors three times in three months and all three times the doctors told me that, "My son had a common cold, to let him ride it out, and to give him Tylenol, for any fevers". I knew something was wrong because he went through large boxes and boxes of Kleenex tissues but the doctors were not convinced. I was diagnosed with a respiratory infection on the same day my son woke up with sinusitis, my syptoms being a runny nose and some coughing. Ironically my son had the same symptoms but was not diagnosed as having an upper respiratory infection. I know that doctors dont want to treat children for a cold because of the issue about giving them cold medicine, I just think they need to listen better and maybe, just maybe read the, "New England Journal". This late diaognosis, could of cost my son a normal life, or a scar on his face, or even vison loss. I was happy we got to come home surgery free, but its not over yet he has to be on medication for another 18 days and then we have to go back for another CT scan in March.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment