Monday, March 24, 2008

Sorry I have been away!!!

I have been a mother now for almost two years and I feel that I have learned so much in this time about myself and the people around me. First to tell you about me, when I was around three years old I was hit by a car that ran a red light in a 25 mile zone area. This person tried to run and I was still under the car. Mind you the car was a yellow fire bird so it sits very low. My poor mother stood there in shock! Thank goodness my mothers friend, she chased after the car as it dragged me down the road. Well to make a long story short, I had no broken bones no head trauma that I am aware of I just got scarred from the incident and the doctors had to do a skin gafting which caused more scarring. As I turned thirty and I was pregnant with my first child I started to have flash backs about this event as I can remember some of the accident, and I was bothered by the fact that my mom didn't run after the car while it dragged me down the street. My mom has a mental impairment, she has major anxiety and cannot think, perform or focus under pressure, as well as, she handles most relationships as if she is a teenager. I know she had some issues but until the other day did I really understand she was a mentally challenged person. I decided to volunteer for the mentally disabled, to go to work with them and assist them. When I walked in the room it was over whelming and I wanted to cry. It hit home that I had dismissed my moms issues as normal and now I am feeling guilty. I too was guilty of looking at the cover of the book but not reading the story. I hadn't really seen my mom in her real form in 33 yrs, I had flash backs of the past and wondered why I dismissed this as I seen and was aware most of all of my life. Now, I am coming to terms with this and what if anything I should do about it. Only time will tell.

No comments: